I love the idea of giving and receiving mixtapes as gifts! It’s a cool way to personalise a gift by giving your loved one songs to relive a particular moment or a mix of a whole lot of in-jokes lol. I found this modern day version of a mixtape from a blog called Scout by local blogger Britney Hazeldine. I thought it was a clever idea to combine the digital version of a mixtape with a traditional cassette tape so I decided to make my own mix to give Che for Valentines.
What you will need:
- A cassette tape (check out your local op shops or TradeMe)
- Screwdriver to pull the cassette apart
- Knife/Scissors/Sander to cut the USB shape
- USB key that will fit into the cassette
- Mark out the shape of the USB key in the tape, note to not cut through the 2 inner circles of the tape.
- Unscrew tape and cut through outline and then sand edges to make them as smooth as you can.
- Make your mix and load onto the USB (I’m no DJ so I just used GarageBand to kind of flow mine together)
- Pop the USB key into the cassette!
For my mix, I went for a selection of love songs plus ones that are often on repeat for me. I chose an 80s themed cassette tape which I found on TradeMe, it seemed to suit the vibe of my mix. The tape was appropriately named “Romantic Reflections” from a cassette box set from the ‘Magic of the Pan Pipes’. I thought pan pipes seemed pretty romantic – don’t ya reckon?
Anyways, have a listen to my ‘Be My Valentine’ mix below or you can download it here.
|ALL I DO||STEVIE WONDER|
|LETS STAY TOGETHER||AL GREEN|
|I’LL BE AROUND||THE SPINNERS|
|WISHING WELL||TERENCE TRENT D’ARBY|
|I LOVE YOUR SMILE||SHANICE|
|CARIBBEAN QUEEN||BILLY OCEAN|
|HOLD ME NOW||THOMPSON TWINS|
|NOTHINGS GONNA STOP US NOW||STARSHIP|
|GIRL YOU KNOW ITS TRUE||MILLI VANILLI|
|MODERN LOVE||DAVID BOWIE|
|TOUCH ME||SAMANTHA FOX|
|YOU MAKE MY DREAMS COME TRUE||HALL & OATES|
Happy Valentines Day xx