One of my favourite places in Auckland is down at Wynyard Quarter at the Viaduct. Its lovely to go for a walk and take in the views of the sea and harbour bridge or checking out the markets on the weekend. The best part is that during summer you can watch movies for free at Silo Park, they are projected onto the side of one the silos to create an open-air cinema.
Unfortunately I was too busy during December and missed the movies that were on then but tonight the cinema is back for 2014! Tonight they will be showing one of my favourite Hayao Miyazaki films, Spirited Away. I am sooooo looking forward to it! The rest of January is as follows:
- Ensure to arrive early for parking and grabbing a good spot to watch the movie, from experience probably get there around 7pm. Movies start at 9pm.
- Park at the Wynyard Quarter carpark, entrance is off Beaumont St and Madden St with the first hour free, $2 per hour following that. If its full there is also the Downtown carpark available.
- There are markets and food stalls to browse before hand so you can do some retail therapy as well as stock up on goodies to snack on.
- There is an ATM at the park but to save time and hassle at the markets/food stalls I would recommend you bring cash.
- Take cushions and a rug so you are comfy throughout the movie.
- Silo park has a liquor ban however there is a licensed bar on site if you fancy a drink while the sun is setting.
- Are pets allowed? According to their Facebook page, well behaved pets are welcome.
Keep an eye on their site for the February (there may be a special screening on Valentines Day) and March schedule.
See you there!
Image from silopark.co.nz